No matter what job you do, recruiters want some basic skills. These are sometimes called ’employability skills’ and sometimes soft skills. It can be called job skills too. These skills will set you apart from others.
You may think that I have no job skills. But, no. You must have some skills inside. You can find those skills if you are-
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Friendly and compassionate
- Interested in learning something new
These job skills, however, are often not mentioned in advertisements. However, these are needed for almost all work. That’s why you should think about these skills before applying for a job. See, what skills do you have? If you don’t have one, get it. If there is a shortage, increase it.
Are you wondering how to do it? Is that so?
No problem. This article is not just about skills. Instead, we will show you how to achieve or increase them. Then read the article carefully. And match with you.
What is skill?
The definition of skill is – a talent or ability acquired through training or practice. An example of fine craftsmanship. Such as basket weaving, painting, etc.
Skills are usually acquired or learned. Ability, on the other hand, is considered to be innate.
Many people divide their skills into three parts. Functional or functional, self-management, and specialized knowledge.
Definition of job skills
What are job skills? Job skills are an employee’s unique ability or capacity to perform his duties in the workplace. These skills can learn through curriculum, experience, or formal training. Employees can complete their tasks efficiently and effectively through proper job skills.
Soft Skills – Also called transferable skills that you can gain through life experience. Such as – communication skills.
Hard Skills – The skills required for a specific job, acquired through work, learning, or training.
Job skills and ways to achieve it
One might define these skills individually. But I will roughly divide them into eight parts.
- Communication Skills
- Teamwork Skills
- Problem-solving Skills
- Initiative and enterprise Skills
- Planning and organizing Skills
- Self-management Skills
- Learning Skills
- Technology Skills
Let me explain the things a little bit.
1. Communication Skills
The meaning of communication may be different. But the bottom line is that when you say or write something, it’s clear what you mean by that. Communication skills also include understanding what someone else is saying.
Non-verbal language also falls into this communication skill. Such as body language. For example, call someone with a hand or eye gesture.
Some Ways to Gain or Improve Communication Skills-
- Writing assignments or reports as part of the study
- Blogging or writing through social media
- Oral presentation as part of the class program
- Record an opinion video on any topic and publish it on YouTube or Facebook timeline
- Working at the customer service or front desk (face to face or on the phone)
- Joining a club or organization
- Pay attention to your body language
2. Teamwork Skills
One of the essential job skills is teamwork. Teamwork means the ability to work with other people. Working together or in groups to achieve specific goals or outcomes.
Some Ways to Gain or Improve Teamwork Skills-
- Doing group assignments as part of class activities
- Volunteering for social organizations
- Thinking about how to work well with others in the workplace
- Participate in any sports team
- Collaborate with family members or friends in a variety of ways
- Conducting any cultural activities in educational institutions or neighborhoods
3. Problem-Solving Skills
Problem-solving skills are the ability to find solutions when encountering a challenging situation or difficulty. This skill is the ability to use logical and valid methods to solve problems.
There are Some ways to acquire or enhance problem-solving skills.
- To do research assignments as part of the study.
- Participate in resolving various grievances in the workplace
- Participate in a course related to problem-solving skills
- Talk to people who have solved problems at different times
- Trying to solve various family problems on your own
- Attempting to repair your household chores by watching YouTube
- Finding answers to various puzzle tactical questions
- Get some work done
5. Planning and organizing Skills
Planning and organizing skills are – identifying the tasks you need to do and creating an outline of how to do them. This skill also includes completing the work within the specified time frame.
Some Ways to Acquire and Increase Planning and Organization Skills-
- Creating a schedule of study or daily work and trying to implement it properly
- Traveling to your nearest city or district or any tourist area of the country on your own, traveling abroad if possible
- Managing your work, study, and family responsibilities
- Assist in organizing social events
- Organizing family get-togethers
6. Self-management Skills
- Being able to get your work done without anyone’s supervision
- Being able to finish the work within the allotted time
- Transferring the work to someone else if necessary to complete the work on time
Some Ways to Gain and Grow Self-Management Skills-
- Gain work experience through an internship or temporary employment
- Asking for and fulfilling new responsibilities in the workplace
- Create a study schedule and implement it strictly
- Joining a voluntary organization
- Keep your room or house tidy and tidy
7. Learning Skills
Learning skills means knowing and understanding something new and assimilating it quickly. It also includes taking on new tasks and adapting to change.
Some Ways to Acquire and Increase Learning Skills-
- Do any short course or online course.
- Conduct research or research on the skills or courses you want to acquire
- Pick a new hobby
- Participate in sports or volunteer teams
- Trying to develop any new skills like cooking
8. Technology Skills
Technology skills refer to using a computer, tab, or smartphone. It is essential to write in MS Word on the computer, do data processing through Excel, create PowerPoint presentations.
Moreover, the basic skills of graphic design and video editing will undoubtedly put you ahead of everyone else in the field of work. Using office equipment like photocopiers is also a part of technology skills.
Some Ways to Acquire and Increase Technology Skills-
- Take short courses or online courses.
- There are countless videos on YouTube, watching them and learning for yourself.
- Requesting the office authorities to organize training programs
- Make a list of the technologies you have already used in your daily life
- Find out the technologies associated with your job and learn how to use them
How to identify your job skills?
When identifying your skills and deciding to develop them, keep in mind the soft and hard skills needed for your desired job.
You can take the following steps to identify your current job skills.
A. Think about your current situation. What job or work experience do you have, and what skills were there?
B. Talk to people who know you personally very well. Others may say good things about your skills.
C. Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses.
How to improve your job skills?
Several strategies for developing job skills have already been mentioned in this article. In a nutshell, you can participate in any training program online or offline to enhance particular skills. To acquire soft skills, one can take part in the activities of different organizations or institutions, and internships can be done.
After attending the training program and internship, apply by attaching the certificate with your job CV.
In the end, I will say, try from student life to acquire job skills. Take the initiative to solve various social problems without just studying. Participate in voluntary organizations and work. Gain experience by working in different organizations without honorarium or salary. Take courses to acquire skills. Then find a job.
I can say for sure that the job will be yours. And if you don’t want to get a job, use the acquired skills and experience to become an entrepreneur. And arrange employment for hundreds of people. Good luck to you.